Social media is great, don’t get me wrong. But sometimes people drive me batty. Here are seven things that really get under my skin.
1. People on Facebook who upload photos the wrong direction and LEAVE THEM. This doesn’t happen very often anymore thanks to smart phones but really…how can you leave a photo in the wrong direction? Is this the first time you’ve used a digital camera? Please, figure out it’s wrong within a day or so. After that, you’re in big trouble with me.
2. People on Twitter who send a tweet every time they’re using Foursquare. Please, turn off those notifications. They don’t provide anything substantial or helpful to your followers. It’s just plain annoying. I think it’s just asking for a creeper or stalker to follow you if you publicly say where you are all the time. But that’s the paranoid, scaredy cat in me talking.
3. People on Facebook who feel the need to document every second of their lives on the internet. Why should your uncle or old coworkers on Facebook care that you’re “checked in” at the movie theater or you’re at Shopko with friends? Guess what? They don’t. People need to be confident that they have friends and that they don’t need to publicize every moment they’re in good company.
4. People on Pinterest who don’t editorialize the captions of their pins. Let me give you a few examples, ONE PINNER SAYS, ‘MY HUSBAND HAD 7 SERVINGS OF THESE ENCHILADAS!! HE SWEARS BY THIS RECIPE!!’ or MY HOUSE HAS NEVER LOOKED CLEANER! EVEN THE KIDS CAN’T MESS THIS UP! OK really? I know you don’t have a husband and kids because you’re 19. Please modify the caption so it’s actually relevant and doesn’t make me want to smash my laptop into the ground.
5. People who take really ugly and pointless photos on Instagram. Isn’t Instragram supposed to be artsy? Aren’t we supposed to be capturing bits of our life that are best told with a photo? Stop taking ugly photos that no one understands or can relate to. I’m trying to think of a good example for this, but if you’re on Insta, I think this complaint is fairly self-explanatory.
6. People on Facebook who share way too much about their kids. Enough is enough! Your kid ate macaroni and cheese in a high chair…good for him!! I ate Chinese for lunch and I didn’t have my roommate take a picture of me and share it on the internet. Jeez, my childhood photos can be haunting enough just to flip through in a dusty photo album. I can’t imagine having every detail of my life exploited on Facebook before I even have a chance to have a say in things. I guess that’s just how the world is these days. When I’m a mom, I’m going to ask myself “How would I feel” questions before posting nonsense photos of my kiddos.
7. People on any social media platform who take too many selfies. How many selfies is too many selfies? Well, I’ll let you be the judge of that. But seriously, people don’t look that drastically different from day-to-day. Too many selfies gives me the impression you’re fishing for compliments, which means I won’t compliment you because compliments don’t work like that.
So tell me, what drives you nuts on social media? Keep adding to my list in the comments. There’s gotta be something…otherwise I look like a total crab apple.